Jobs for the Autumn.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jobs for the Autumn.

Post by wayland on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:15 am

A busy time for us this is. Lots of freezing, pickling, storing and planting in the poly of over wintering crops. Planning for next year all very important. Any suggestions lads?
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jobs for the Autumn.

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi Wayland, most important for me this week is planting out Spring cabbages. I have most of the cider apples picked - just giving the Black Dabbinets and Chisel Jersys another week or so and then cider-making will commence. Next planting - in November - will be garlic and broad beans. And then the real winter work starts - timber-cutting, hedging and pruning.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 am

I have spent some time putting in a new flight of stairs which is nearly finished thank God. So I am falling behind a bit with me planting etc. I need to get in asap Spring Cabbage, Onions, Garlic, Peas, Saladin's, and Sweet Peas to sell at the mart next spring. As I am now operating a no dig policy I need to get a trailer full of dung from my neighbour and get it spread about. This years Sprouts are slow to grow. I might not get any for Xmas. Lots to do. Luv it Very Happy
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Our main job this autumn is to start on the hedge laying. We have a 2 acre field to get the hedges around under control.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:44 am

Hedging and ditching using the English definition, are worthy occupations for a cold winter me thinks. A well laid hedge is a beautiful sight to behold. We often went to a local competition held in the New Forest. It was great to watch the lads weave their magic and convert an unruly overgrown hedge into a work of art. Even Prince Charles is a dab hand at it. I have not seen this done yet in Ireland. You must post us some pics Deryn. Like, before, during and after. Watching this with great interest. Good luck.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm a hedge barber myself, Wayland. In fact, twenty years ago I planted a few hawthorn hedges just so I could lay them! Since I got out of sheep, I don't really need hedges but I keep them for the abundant wildlife they harbour and for the fun of laying them! When a whitethorn hedge is properly laid, even a hen can't get through it. How much better is that than a wire mesh fence or a wall? On a cold winter's day, choose between sitting inside watching the gogglebox or working outside laying a hedge... I think I know which you'd go for!

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Perhaps some pics from you Sean. I have laid hedges over the years , but not to the standard of the lads described. I find that laying from stools the most awkward as it is laid in both directions and never looks neat at the finnish. I believe that yourself Sean have a good supply of Hazel, so you can weave a neat tye to the pleachers. Something I was not to good at. The lack of Hazel didn't help.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:03 pm

I will definitely be taking before and after photos as its our first attempt. Whether I can manage to put them on here is another matter. Will do my best. Hubby has just been on a 2 day course over here as they are trying to encourage farmers to go back to proper hedge laying, but they don't seem interested. He was the only one on it, so had a good tuition. Just hope he learnt loads.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monst on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:15 am

usual jobs for winter, logs logs and a few logs,
Monst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content