Help with fruit trees and bushes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help with fruit trees and bushes

Post by Deryn on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm hoping someone can come my rescue and advise me on what I need to do. We have a big problem with our fruit. Apples, blackcurrants, gooseberries, raspberries to name a few. They all seem to be dying. The leaves start to look frost bitten, as in all black on the ends and it just seems to be spreading really quick.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help with fruit trees and bushes

Post by Monst on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:09 am

not being sarcastic, but could it be the weather and time of year Wink
Monst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi Monst, they have been gradually getting worse all year not just all of a sudden now, just not sure how to stop it spreading. The wood is dying too.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monst on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:55 pm

we had the same problem with our quince trees, I sorted it in the end though, I cut them down. Our main cherry tree always seems to start getting black leaves from around mid summer onwards, not sure what it is, but we still get fruit though. So sorry, cant help you.
Monst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:09 am

We have had a similar problem. I should have been more selective when planting my Orchard. I just planted the trees that I liked and not what liked Ireland. As your problem seems to be across the board and not just trees is a bit of a worry. This summer has not been typical and after having a long dry period to be followed by warmish damp autumn fungal spoors abound. If the wood is dying then I would think "Honey Fungus" perhaps. If you dig around the base of an affected tree you may find black threadlike growths which is a sure indication that HF is the culprit. As a precaution I would remove all dead material and burn it. Have you "Googled" the problem? Good luck.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Have come to the decision that it is scab. Think it must have been on the property a long time from research to actually kill the trees. We have only been here 2 years and have noticed it getting worse by the year. Guess its a case of starting again which is a shame as they are mature trees. :c.
Will definitely make sure they are resistant varieties. In my research did you know that diluted urine kills fungal diseases on fruit bushes.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:54 pm

I take your point Deryn but I have never seen "Scab" on fruit bushes. We have scab on our trees and I cut out the bad bits. The trees seem to put up with a certain amount.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top