No dig policy.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

No dig policy.

Post by wayland on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:26 am

I am quite taken with this method of growing veg. I have a number of new raised beds which did not produce the crop I was anticipating. Despite all the organic matter I dug into these beds. So now I read that disturbed soil needs time to repair itself! Well these beds were disturbed alright, right down two feet or so. Lots of info on YouTube but I do have a few questions. How do we grow Parsnips without digging? Some of the ideas for growing Potatoes leaves me scratching me head. Growing Spuds above the ground surface just in a six inch layer of compost and mulching with straw seemed to work well but it seems to ignore the goodness in soil altogether!. As the nights draw in its time to start planning for next season. So with the helpful opinions of you lads, I should be all set up to be no dig next year. What do you think?
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No dig policy.

Post by Deryn on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:10 pm

I haven't dug for years now and have never had a problem with the root veg as long as its not sown in freshly manured ground as normal. its amazing what the worms can do to the soil.
Only problem is I have to start all over again now we have moved to Ireland.
Have spent all of the last 2 weeks spreading said rotted manure over the raised beds. I used to cover with black plastic but don't think it will stay on over here, so as an experiment am leaving it uncovered, hoping it doesn't wash away.Unless anyone else has a suggestion. The other thing to use is old carpet which is heavier but we don't have any to hand.
With the potatoes I have an old fashioned potato planting tool, which look like a large bulb planter and then i just mound the soil up in rows with a hoe and just leave them. Works fine as long as they are sown deep enough. have never tried them on the surface.
Good luck with it, it is much easier on the back. which is why I started.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top