Dry toilet - legislation in ireland

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dry toilet - legislation in ireland

Post by Carlarua on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Has anyone experience with homemade dry toilets (as opposed to the commercially available dry toilets that you can buy off the shelf that "cooks" the human waste into "clean" compostable pellets)
The dry toilets we are thinking of is the simple idea of covering the waste with wood shavings every time you use the loo. When the bucket is 3/4 full, it gets brought to a separate compost heap, and would be ready for use after it's composted for trees, shrubs etc and after 2 years (when all pathogens are broken down) for the veg garden.

Is there any legislation around this ? Considering we're in the middle of the sticks, would the compost heap be an issue ?
Has anyone ever used this method and are there any pitfalls?
I've been trying to add a photo but I haven't quite figured out how to do that
Carlarua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dry toilet - legislation in ireland

Post by Monst on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:48 am

I can't help on that one Carla, have you tried the old and trusty google?
Monst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:27 am

I doubt if there is any specific legislation regarding dry toilets in Ireland. Not something we hear of every day. When we had our septic tank emptied by a local farmer the waist ended up in his slurry tank and eventually got spread on his fields. I cant see that there should be any problems.  I am intrigued Carlarua. You must let us know how you get on. I will have a butchers and see what I can ferret out .
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drowned_pig on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 pm

They're also known as 'compost toilets' - we've been meaning to install one for the past year but haven't got round to it ..I must admit I've a bit of a fascination with them, whenever I visit someone who has one I have to hansel it :-o
They can be a bit smelly but not overly - depends on how it's made.
I don't think there is any legislation...although if you're using the compost on food you are selling there may be 'some' restrictions
Drowned_pig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlarua on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm all for it, but I'm afraid I have some more convincing to do.

I'm also not a great reference point as to modern day toilet hygiene ; I was 14 (in the late 80's) when we finally had an indoor flushing toilet. Before that, we had an outhouse tucked in between the horse stable and the pig stable.
The sheet of marine ply was vicious in winter, as your bum would literally freeze when it was freezing outside, and liberal quantities of quicklime had to be chucked in in summer to prevent insects as much as possible.

I thought a dry toilet would be the eco friendly and cheaper solution to the chemical toilet we're using now (144 € per month to pickle your poo in formaldehyde).
But then there's the problem of visitors, usually young people. They might be reluctant to use the loo. And it's all grand cleaning your own waste, but out of experience and cleaning toilets as a student I know that there's people out there who don't spare a thought to the people cleaning up after them.

So the experiment is on hold for a while.
I'll keep you updated if there's any movement
Carlarua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland Today at 10:00 am

An interesting and important topic methinks. I remember the "Colonel" (His name escapes me) on one of his self sufficiency programs installing a composting toilet at his smallholding. The system he was using was not the incinerator type but as you describe Carlarua. He did have some refinements though. The liquids were separated from solids and he had a bucket of sawdust at hand with a scoop just to cover up. So to speak. He luved the system which gave him fertilizer as a byproduct. The only modern incinerator system that I have found as yet comes from the US. This is an electric system that turns the waist to dust and can be installed In house, Motorhomes, Boats etc. A self contained unit which looks ok but it has a substantial initial cost and the running of course. Carlarua. You gave us an interesting and graphic story of a past experience. So here`s mine. As a boy I was brought up in a village in Norfolk. Our bungalow was built of corrugated sheet. We had no bathroom and the tin bath hung on a nail outside. Our "Thunder Box" was a small shed in the huge back garden. This was placed over a hole dug in the ground. Every so often a man would visit and dig another hole which the shed would be moved over. The now full existing hole was just covered over with earth. No formaldehyde was used or needed.  This memory brings a smile to me as I have just finished our now rather plush tiled inside bathroom. Not much privacy in them days, but we did sing a lot. I remember visiting a cottage in Wales which had a double outside loo! The brick building just had a wooden plank with two holes in it. I could imagine while walking past hearing " Yaky Dar Davy, what kind of day you ad".
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top