Cider anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cider anyone?

Post by wayland on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:05 am

We shall be doing the last pressing today. Its been a good year for apples this year, so my small orchard along with apples "scanked" from neighbours we should exceed last years pressing. Some may even be quite drinkable.Smile . While on the topic of home brewing I have developed a taste for Nettle beer. Nettles are a super food I believe so it is for the good of my health Cool . Have any of you lads tried it?

wayland.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cider anyone?

Post by Deryn on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:10 pm

|I have not tried nettles in any form but they make great plant food. Just a quick question, would making beer out of them not destroy the beneficial goodness.
We had a good year for apples too. Have half the juice frozen and the other half is fermenting nicely by accident as didn't get it in the freezer quick enough.
Has anyone made apple cider vinegar?

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DizandStell on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 am

We've had a great apple crop to this year, plenty for eating not for cider though.
I haven't tried nettle beer but did make nettle wine a number of years ago which was very good. When the nettles were fermenting in the kitchen they use to push the lid up and dribble down the side of the bucket and the lurcher and greyhound use to spend time licking all round the bottom and side of the bucket. It obviously tasted good to them.
Stell

DizandStell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:55 am

Cider vinegar! I have made many gallons in the past, by mistake I might add Crying or Very sad  I am sure Sean has done the same. The Dreaded vinegar fly will turn sugar to vinegar in no time. To stop this we must keep our brew covered. I remember as a lad being sent to the Greengrocers with a bottle to get filled with vinegar. The Grocer would take us out the back and fill the bottle from a wooden barrel. Out of the top of which he had wooden  rods which he raised for a while  and then returned them into the liquid. A sort of magic we kids thought. As to Nettle beer and losing the goodness  through fermentation, I have no intention of believing it Very Happy
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:39 am

Well thats the end of Cider brewing for another year. We made more this year than last I am happy to say, and although it will not last till next harvest it should take me through until the nettles start growing Very Happy Very pleased.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DizandStell on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Wow, you have been busy. We had enough of a crop to keep us happy in eating apples for the past couple of months and for a few more to come. Pleased with that, best year since we have been here (10 years). What will happen next year???

DizandStell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:21 pm

wayland wrote:Well thats the end of Cider brewing for another year. We made more this year than last I am happy to say, and although it will not last till next harvest it should take me through until the nettles start growing Very Happy  Very pleased.

I'm all geared up ready get going at first light tomorrow. Only one session this year compared to three last year. Hopefully the quality will make up for the small quantity!

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:46 pm

It should be fine weather for it Sean. Still a few wasps around but good luck with it. Wink
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top